EXCLUSIVE LOCAL BENEFITS
• Join HCMS/TMA and attend branch meetings in your area at no cost. HCMS branch meetings offer networking opportunities and CME seminars on the business of medicine and legislative issues. See the HCMS Calendar for scheduled events! Upcoming topics include:
- Health Reform School - Giving Practical Advice on How to Survive the New Health Reform Law;
- Managing Your Patients: Insight from Patient Complaining & Satisfaction Research;
- Flagging Identity Theft: Is the Patient Who He Says He Is?
• Stay informed! HCMS Direct, allows you to receive only the e-mails you choose on the following topics: medical legislation, practice management & insurance, and public health issues. Sign up for HCMS Direct.
• Participate on HCMS boards, councils and committees to build leadership experience.
• Attend young physician meetings to network.
RESOURCES FOR SURVIVING RESIDENCY
• Low interest rates for resident and graduate medical education loans through TMA;
• Licensing and credentialing information (e.g., Texas Jurisprudence Manual and Study Guide, containing medical education checklist and FAQ guide);
• Legislative advocacy on issues that residents identify, such as resident work hours and physician in training permits;
• Continuing medical education opportunities, including on-demand Webinars and home study courses;
• Rapid access to the associations accumulated expertise in health care, health law, practice management, medical economics, and public health via TMA Knowledge Center; and
• TMA’s resident e-newsletter, e-mail updates and dedicated staff resources.
HELP WITH TRANSITIONING TO PRACTICE
• TMA consulting services at below-market rates for expert advice in setting up your new practice and operating it efficiently from the start;
• Professional liability insurance through the Texas Medical Liability Trust;
• Major medical, life and disability insurance and financial services
through the Texas Medical Association Insurance Trust;
• TMA’s Employment and Recruitment Contract Negotiation Guide;
• TMA’s Webinars on the business of medicine; and
• Web-based training to allow convenient access to educational programs...Coming soon from TMA!
OPPORTUNITIES FOR LEADERSHIP
• Join top physician leaders and represent residents on an HCMS or TMA board, council or committee that recommends policy to TMA in your area of interest, such as legislative affairs, child and adolescent health or medical education (click here to apply for leadership positions);
• Run for an elected position at TMA;
• Attend resident meetings at TMA’s annual meetings (Winter Conference, TexMed, Fall Conference) and network with other residents across the state, enhance your knowledge of the medical profession, and help develop recommendations for TMA policy; and
• Join us for First Tuesdays at the Capitol, TMA’s organized visits to legislators during the state legislative session.
Click here to apply online.
When you join Harris County Medical Society, you become a member of both HCMS and TMA.
Questions? Please contact Regina Palasota via email or call 713-524-4267, ext. 243.
Join the TMA Resident and Fellow Section Facebook page to stay informed about issues affecting medicine today. It is a great way to connect with colleagues and promote advocacy efforts across the state. Click here to become a "Fan."